Have you been told that you have a disc herniation or a herniated disc of the spinal cord? Hearing this may worry you. What does that mean? Does it mean you’ll need major surgery? In some cases, significant surgery is necessary to restore movement and function of the spine and to relieve the pain you feel. However, new treatment options, including HydroDiscectomy can offer many of the benefits surgeries can offer without the invasive component.
Why Should You Consider HydroDiscectomy Instead of Surgery?
Ultimately, when you come in to see our spine doctors in New York City, we’ll conduct an examination to understand your overall health. We’ll then determine the best treatment for you. In some cases, this minimally invasive procedure is the best option. It can help to reduce the amount of tissue that’s being compressed in your spine and causing the pain you feel. However, unlike other procedures, it does not require large incisions that take months to heal. Rather, you’ll see all of the benefits right away – much like you would with other procedures – without the long healing process.
Who Is a Candidate for This Procedure?
The benefits are numerous, but not everyone will qualify for this procedure. Our NYC HydroDiscectomy doctors will help you determine if it can help in your specific case. As an outpatient procedure, you can get help right away from our team if you do qualify. For that reason, don’t put off coming in to see our team to discuss the benefits this procedure can offer to you. If you have a herniated disc and have been told you need surgery to fix it, talk to our team first about the procedure and your options. You may be able to avoid major surgery.
What is HydroDiscectomy?
HydroDiscectomy is a minimally invasive, outpatient procedure that uses a high-speed water stream to remove herniated disc tissue, relieving the nerve pressure that causes back and leg pain.
What Are the Benefits of the SpineJet HydroDiscectomy Treatment?
- It’s an outpatient procedure that requires no hospitalization
- It offers fast recovery so you can return to work quickly
- There is less pain
- No bone is removed
- There is no trauma to your back muscles or surrounding tissue
- No general anesthesia is needed
- It’s a clinically proven procedure!
What can I expect from HydroDiscectomy? Before the Procedure
- Dr. Colon may perform x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT scan) to determine the location and severity of your herniated disc.
- You may need to avoid certain medications and herbal remedies before your procedure. Dr. Colon will advise you about what to avoid.
During the Procedure
- HydroDiscectomy is performed using a fluoroscope, a machine that projects live x-ray images onto a monitor. Dr. Colon uses these images as a guide for placing the SpineJet device within the spinal disc without making a large incision.
- The procedure is usually performed using a local anesthetic so you remain awake.
- Your physician will insert the SpineJet by dilating through the fibers of the disc wall.
- Once the device is in place, the water-jet works to quickly remove the herniated disc tissue.
- The entire procedure takes only 20 to 30 minutes.